1838 in music
1838 in science
1835 1836 1837 - 1838 - 1839 1840 1841
1800s 1810s 1820s - 1830s - 1840s 1850s 1860s
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
Table of contents
- January 6 - Samuel Morse first publicly demonstrates the telegraph.
- January 8 - Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code)
- January 12 - Joseph Smith, Jr and Sidney Rigdon flee Ohio for Missouri
- June 12 - Territory of Iowa established.
- September 3 - Dressed in a sailor's uniform and carrying identification papers provided by a free Black seaman, future abolitionist Frederick Douglass boards a train in Maryland on his way to freedom from slavery.
- November 5 - Honduras separates from the Central American Federation, weakening the confederation.
- Proteins discovered by Jons Jacob Berzelius
- the Pastry War
- Start of First British-Afghan War
- Republic of Yucatan declares independence from Mexico
- Start of Central American Civil War
- Friedrich Bessel makes the first accurate measurement of distance to a star.
- Christian Hermann Weisse proposes the two-source hypothesis of gospel origins, which is held by a majority of biblical scholars to this day.
- January 4 - Charles Stratton ("General Tom Thumb"), circus performer, entertainer (+ 1883)
- January 6 - Max Bruch, composer (+ 1920)
- January 16 - Franz Brentano, German philosopher and psychologist (+ 1917)
- February 16 - Henry Adams, american historian
- February 18 - Ernst Mach, Austrian physicist and philosopher
- March 3 - George William Hill, astronomer (+ 1914)
- May 10 - John Wilkes Booth, assassin of Abraham Lincoln
- May 20 - Jules Méline, French statesman (+ 1925)
- October 25 - Georges Bizet, French composer
- Ferdinand von Zeppelin
- July 4 - Colonel José Antonio Vidaurre and his accomplices, authors of The Riot of Quillota, Chile were shot.
Heads of State
- China - Daoguang Emperor of China, Qing Dynasty (September 2, 1820 to February 25, 1850
- Denmark - Frederick VI, King of Denmark (1808-1839)
- France - Louis-Phillippe, King of the French (August 1, 1830 to February 24, 1848)
- Norway - Charles III, King of Norway (1818-1844)
- Ottoman Empire - Mahmud II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (1808-1839)
- Prussia - Frederick William III, King of Prussia (1797-1840)
- Russia - Nicholas I, Tsar of Russia (December 26, 1825 to March 2, 1855)
- Spain - Isabella II, Queen of Spain (September 29, 1833 to September, 1868)
- United States - Martin Van Buren, President of the United States (March 4, 1837 to March 4, 1841)